Student Leader Constituencies and Elections – 14 March 2011, Union
Council (Ref: 1011P11)
- Union Council’s decision on 31 January to delete the Executive Committee and Officers and create a Standing Order creating
Student Leaders (Motion 5).
- Union Council’s mandate in the same policy for “The President to create a process which ensures all affected Standing Committees and current officers are consulted on the method, timing and constituencies for the elections of Student Leaders.”
- The various consultation methods established since the January Council (Sabbatical blogging, Big Box, discussion at Standing Committees, Forum on top of informal methods).
- Union Council’s mandate in the same policy: “Constitution Committee to bring back the related constitutional changes to a future meeting of Union Council such that Student Leaders can be elected in the Summer Term of 2011.”
- Union Council’s commitment at its meeting on 21 February 2011 to hold Student Leader elections this term.
- Some drafting errors were made in the role description for Student Leaders.
- Students have had many chances to input their views.
- The feedback received has been helpful, though there is no clear and consistent view across all involvement areas.
- That the view received from most different areas is that Student Leaders should be held accountable to the whole student body and therefore should be elected by and from the whole student body.
Constitution Committee to amend the constitution as outlined below:
- To tidy up the drafting error around the Community Volunteering Officer and the Student Enterprise Officer.
- To rename the ‘Halls of Residence Officer’ as ‘Junior Common Rooms (JCRs) Officer’.
- To ensure elections for those Student Leaders representing a particular cohort of students (Post grad, international, Faculty officers and sites) are held early in Term 1 with only those in each constituency able to stand and vote.
- To ensure elections are held during semester 2/term 2 for all other Student Leaders by cross campus ballot with all full members eligible to stand and vote.
- To still determine the election method and timing for Chair of Council
- To amend the Standing Orders as follows:
A. To amend the Student Enterprise and Community Volunteering Officers’ job roles to remove the drafting error: Standing Order 5 delete clauses 11 and 16 and replace with new:
11. Community Volunteering Officer
11.1 Support and develop student led community volunteering projects;
11.2 Develop reward systems and social support for the volunteer;
Promote the benefits of community volunteering within the student community.
16. Student Enterprise Officer
16.1 Support and develop the enterprise activities of our students;
16.2 Develop reward systems and social support for the entrepreneurs;
16.3 Promote the benefits of Student Enterprise within the student community.
B. To rename the Faculty Representatives, Halls of Residence Officer and the AU Clubs Officer: From Standing Order 5 delete sub-titles 2, 8 and 12 and insert new:
2. One faculty Officer for each University Faculty.
8. Athletic Union (AU) Officer
12. Junior Common Rooms (JCRs) Officer
C. To expand the job role of the Union Films Cinema manager to more closely match other
Student Leader roles: From SO5 Delete 17.1 and insert new:
17.1 To coordinate the operation and output of the cinema,
17.2 To coordinate all volunteers and sub-committee members.
D. To amend the electoral qualifications of the new officers: Delete SO 5 clause 5 and replace with:
5. Electoral Qualifications
5.1 Only and all full members of the Union may stand and vote in Union elections; this is subject only to:
(a) Members cannot hold more than one position within the Union at the same time, except that Voluntary Officers may also be Trustees without Portfolio.
(b) Students shall be eligible to hold only two Sabbatical terms of office within the Union after initially registering as a student at the University of Southampton. Sabbatical Officers shall be otherwise awarded equivalent rights of election as those given to non-Sabbatical full members of the Union.
(c) Only students from a site may stand or vote in elections for the posts specific to that site or sites, with the exception of Vice President Winchester & Sites which shall be open to all full members.
(d) Only students from a faculty may stand or vote in elections for the posts specific to that faculty.
(e) Only postgraduate students may stand or vote in election to the position of Postgraduate Students’
(f) Only international students may stand or vote in election to the position of International Students’ Officer.
(g) Only members of Council shall vote in an election held at Council meeting.
(h) Only members of Council shall be eligible for election to the Council member positions on other Union Committees.
E. To amend the timing of the elections of the new officers: Delete Standing Order 6Clause 6 and replace with:
6. Timetable for Elections
6.1 The following positions shall be elected by and from the relevant constituency in the Autumn term (such that they can attend the first Council meeting) except by a decision of Council:
(a) Faculty Officers
(b) International Students’ Officer
(c) Postgraduate Students’ Officer
(d) Southampton General Hospital (site) Officer
(e) Winchester (site) Officer
(f) National Oceanography Centre (Site) Officer
(g) Outreach (Sites) Officer
(h) Any vacancies for other Student Leader and Union Council positions
6.2 The following positions shall be elected by cross campus ballot no later than the penultimate week of the spring term, except by a decision of Council:
(a) Sabbatical Officers
(b) Remaining Student Leader positions
(c) Ordinary Members of Union Council
6.3 The following shall be elected by Council at meetings held in the autumn term but later than the penultimate week of the term:
(a) Council Members on other Union Committees
(b) Union Representatives on University Committees
6.4 Should a position become vacant, a by-election shall be held to fill the vacancy as soon as possible.
6.5 The Results of elections for Voluntary Officers will be reported to the next meeting of the relevant Standing Committee.
F.To amend the electoral body for the Council Chair: Delete Standing Order 1 clause 3.2 (a) and replace with:
3.2 (a) Chair of Council (to be elected by and from the full members of the Union at the AGM.
G.To define the term of office of Student Leaders: Delete Standing Order 5 clause 1.1 (a) and replace with:
1.1 (a) Student Leaders shall normally hold office from the 1st July for 1 year, except those elected in the Autumn term who will take up office immediately elected for 1 year.
H. To amend the term of office of Ordinary Council Members: Delete Standing Order 1 clause 3.2 (d) and replace with:
3.2 (d) 10 Ordinary Council Members (who will normally hold office from 1st July for 1 year, except those elected in the Autumn term who will take up office immediately elected for 1 year).
I. To create Voluntary Officers for every: Delete “Administrative Officer” throughout and replace with “Voluntary Officer”.
Constitution committee to revisit the entirety of the Standing Orders to ensure all inter-relations are resolved and report back to the Union Council any decisive changes.