Earlier this year, SUSU made the unprecedented decision to expand its communications team. Universities across the country have a host of their own social media content for their unions, but our union has made the rare decision to allow students to write the content. Eight new students have joined SUSU’s communications operations as Communications Crew members. You can meet the new members below:

Howell Davies

Hi I’m Howell, a third year BA Geography student, formerly Records Editor and Deputy Editor of The Edge.

Caitlin Hobbs

Hey, I’m Caitlin, in my second year of BA English, and I’m Events and Marketing Officer for Performing Arts.

Vanessa Phan

Hi I’m Vanessa, I’m a second year MSci Geologist. I am also Vice President of Communications for AIESEC and Secretary for SalsaSoc.

Mayan Al-Shakarchy

Hi, I’m Mayan and I’m a first year studying Politics and International Relations. I’ve recently been elected as SUSU’s Community Volunteering officer which is going to be very exciting with the General Elections coming up! I’m also the Vice-President of Southampton University Politics Association (SUPA).

Jonny Vaughan

Hi, I’m Jonny. I’m a second year studying philosophy, former Head of Events for Surge Radio and President of AIM

Parul Pujara

Hi, I’m Parul. I’m in my second year studying Philosophy. I also take a turn in the occasional debate, had a radio show and enjoy blogging. Big fan of tea.

Marie Payne

Hi, I’m Marie, a second year English student and secretary for Contemporary Dance society.

Leodora Darlington

Hi, I’m Leodora. I am a third year English Literature student, and former Publicity Officer of SUSU Theatre Group. I am really passionate about the creative arts.

Our new Communications Crew have so far taken to the roles with enthusiasm. Their roles also include writing press releases and carrying out research to constantly improve SUSU’s communications. As an organisation, SUSU is very proud to have students filling positions that other unions are often afraid to hand over to its own student body. SUSU has every faith that the new team will always strive for their best, continuing to recreate some of the good work they have already done, and providing a real student voice for the union. The future is bright for communications at SUSU!

To contact the team , email comms@susu.org.

Words: Leodora Darlington