Nominations open for ETAs
Do you know a member of academic staff who you believe deserves special recognition for their exceptional work at the University of Southampton? Well it’s the time of the year to nominate them for an Excellence in Teaching Award. The Awards are a University-wide initiative to celebrate those who go above and beyond the call of duty in their jobs to ensure the institution continues to be one of the best higher education facilities in the UK, and now it’s YOUR turn to get involved.
Speaking about the ETAs, VP Education Sophia D’angelico said: “The Excellence in Teaching Awards are a great way of recognising those lecturers who really go above and beyond to deliver engaging and fascinating lectures. I particularly like the Teaching Awards as a way of showcasing good practice, so other lecturers can see some popular and innovative teaching techniques and think about giving them ago.
“Last year we saw how a lecturer was using Twitter to promote language learning and how technology can really enhance learning, I can’t wait to see the nominations this year!”
Nominations for the ETAs are now open across six categories:
- Outstanding Lecturer Award: This prize is given to a member of staff who demonstrates an outstanding commitment and the highest possible level of enthusiasm for their work, ensuring their lectures are as engaging, stimulating and useful as possible.
- Innovative Teaching: The winner of this award will be someone who frequently uses a diverse range of teaching, learning and assessment methods in a bid to improve student engagement, as well as utilising student feedback.
- Best Feedback Provision: This educator will have a strong desire to support students through their course by delivering a high level of detailed feedback in a variety of different ways.
- Contribution to Academic Support: This individual will display an exceptional commitment in giving students the support they need to excel during their time at the University, adapting their approach to students’ needs and going out of their way to advise students through their difficulties.
- Best Use of Technology to Enhance Teaching: A new award for 2015, the accolade will be awarded to someone who has embraced the University’s new enhancement theme which is Technology Enhanced Learning, complementing their teaching techniques with the use of tech.
- Teaching & Learning Lifetime Achievement Award: The winner of this, the most prestigious of the ETAs, will have a lasting impact on students throughout their teaching, by pioneering innovative methods and initiatives and demonstrating an endless commitment towards the improvement of their teaching. This exceptional individual will continue to strive for the enhancement of the teaching and learning experience over a considerable period of time.
Last year, we received over 500 nominations for the ETAs so we are hoping this year’s ceremony will be even bigger. To nominate a member of staff for their incredible work, click here.Tags: ETAs, Excellence in Teaching Awards, SUSU, University of SOuthampton