Union Highlights of the Year 2015-16 Part 1 September-January
In this two part special, we will be taking a look back on all the great things that have happened in the Union and Southampton over the last year, to get you excited for all the great things that can happen this year!
- Various training weeks took place just before Freshers’ started, to ensure that all of the student groups were prepared and equipped to have as great as year as possible! Highlights from these included a laser tag game held by the Creative Industries.
- Freshers’!!! Probably the biggest week of the year, this years Freshers’ boasted more events than ever before, with some big names such as Hodor, as well as classic Southampton graduate Chris Stark, all coming along to DJ. New this year was the Union Fayre (set to be held on Monday 26 September this year), whilst the Bunfight (now known as Bunfight: Student Groups Fayre ready for Wednesday 28 September this year) and Freshers’ Fayre (save the date this Friday 29 September 2016) proved as popular as ever.
- With other 300 student groups to take part in, and almost each one holding their own tasters at the start of October, there was enough variety for everyone to do something!
- October also saw a referendum take place, on the issue of a 24 hour library. We wanted to ensure that the health and wellbeing of students was considered, including the provision of transport to get you home safely.
- The Christmas Lights Switch On took place in the middle of November, and as always, was one of the most popular nights of the year. With a brass band, live Surge DJs and the World Cup winning Enactus Team assisting the Deputy Vice Chancellor in lighting up Highfield Campus, hundreds of students attended.
- November also heralded the final installment of the Hunger Games series, and Union Films amazingly showed the film, Mockingjay Part 2, for two weeks, including a midnight premiere on the day of its release! Many of these showings were sell-outs and showed off the amazing student run cinema that we have in our Union!
- The annual Christmas Ball took place in December and this year featured a fan favourite Silent Disco, alongside Santa and a snow machine, this really was the most Christmassy snowy thing you could ask for and was a huge sell-out success! Check out the media outlets for detailed reviews of the night.
- The Freshers’ Christmas Ball is not the only one however, as many societies and subjects areas have their own balls, such as the Humanities and Social Science Ball. These events are always really popular and often see Oceana transformed into a Christmassy wonderland.
- Refreshers’ began at the end of January as a great way to celebrate the end of the exam period, but to also herald the beginning of the tough second semester. We held all your favourites including the Refreshers’ Fayre and nights out in Bedford Place.
- January also had the very popular ‘You Are More Than’ campaign, organised to promote the ways in which we are here to support you during exam and hand-in season. Previously known as the Stress Less Fest, the campaign featured many different events, such as the ever popular Meet The Guide Dogs (which is back for Freshers’ 2016) and Meet The Farm Animals. This event has become a real flagship event in our calendar now, so keep an eye out!
Look out for our next highlights post to read more about our best bits from February until the present moment.Tags: Bedford Place, bunfight, calendar, Chris Stark, events, Highfield Campus, highlights, round-up, Student Groups Fayre, students, Surge, throwback, union, Union Films, year