Top Tips: Stay Focused During Exam Revision and Coursework
The exam and hand-in season is upon us, so we have devised a handy list of 10 top tips to help you during revision and coursework…
- Get to grips with the syllabus – don’t be afraid to contact lecturers to find out what you’re expected to know so that you can revise accordingly.
- Do plenty of past papers and questions if they are available to you, as this will give you a better idea of the type of questions to expect in the real thing.
- Stick revision notes around your room to help you retain the information by associating it with a particular place.
- Summary notes help your brain to memorise information. Why not try some brain-friendly colourful mind-maps too?
- Draw up a revision timetable to allocate your time to different topics, but remember to be flexible! Don’t put yourself down if you miss time to revise, life can sometimes get in the way.
- Talking through what you have learnt is a great way for you to consolidate your revision, so find a friend, parent, or even pet to sit down and chat to!
- Remember to take regular breaks. Research shows that taking breaks during revision enables your brain to take in everything better. Why not try 50 minutes revision, 10 minutes off?
- Make sure you’re eating a balanced diet during the exam period (and all year round, of course!) as this will help your body fight off any nasty germs which may negatively impact your performance. You might rely on coffee to help you stay focused, but don’t forget to drink lots of water, too!
- Remember to squeeze in some exercise. When you exercise your body releases endorphins which can help you feel more positive and take your mind off any revision blues.
- Do something entirely different for at least a couple of hours in the evening to unwind. Watch TV, go for a walk… whatever suits you.
If you feel like study stress is getting too much, don’t hesitate to visit our Advice Centre in Building 40. Advisers will be able to give you free, confidential, and impartial advice in a friendly and comfortable setting – click here for their contact details.
We wish you all the best of luck with your exams and hand-ins!