Student Media Teams Nominated for 12 National Awards
Congratulations to the Union’s media teams who have recently been nominated in national awards ceremonies. Wessex Scene and The Edge have been nominated for five awards in the Student Publication Association Awards 2018, whilst Surge Radio have been nominated for seven I Love Student Radio Awards 2018. SUSUtv have also submitted their show reel entry for Best Freshers’ Content 2017/18 to the National Student Television Association Awards 2018.
Wessex Scene, our official student-run magazine, received SPA Award nominations for:
- Best Interview – Alice Hearing’s interview with Jon Sopel
- Best Feature – Linnea Lagerstead’s powerful piece ‘Sexual Consent Awareness Week: Life As A Survivor‘
The Edge, the Union’s student-run entertainment magazine, received SPA Award nominations for:
- Best Specialist Publication
- Best Design (Magazine)
- Best Entertainment Piece – Carly May Kavanagh’s article ‘In Criticism of 13 Reasons Why‘
James Barker, The Edge Editor, says: “It’s such an honour to even be shortlisted for these awards! I’m so proud of the work The Edge has done to reinvigorate its design this year (largely thanks to our incredible Head of Design, Teague Hipkiss), while Carly-May Kavanagh, our Live Editor, shows all the passion we love to see in The Edge with her ‘In Criticism of 13 Reasons Why’ article. Last – but not least – a shortlist for Best Specialist Publication is testament to the hard work of the committee and the talent of our writers. Let’s hope that we can bring some awards back from SPANC in just a few weeks time…”
- Outstanding Contribution to a Student Radio Station – Xavier Voigt-Hill
- Best Training Initiative – Surge Radio
- Best Audience Initiative – Surge Radio – Alternative Elections Night
- Student Radio Team of the Year – Surge Radio News Team
- Hero Of The Moment – Jake Willis
- Most Committed Committee Member – Katie Duke
- Most Committed Committee Member – Chris McDermont
The Union’s VP DCI, Evie Reilly, comments: “It’s great to see the amazing accomplishments of our media groups, and the passion of their members recognised like this. Congratulations everyone and fingers crossed!”
The SPA Awards take place on Saturday 07 April at the Student Publication Association Conference. The I Love Student Radio Awards take place during the National Student Radio Conference in April. The NaSTAs take place during the National Student Television Association Conference in April.
Good luck to all our media teams and watch this space for award announcements!