STRIVE Volunteer e-Badge Scheme
The STRIVE scheme: Student Recognition in Volunteering e-Badges
We are very excited to have recently launched our STRIVE scheme recognising all the wonderful volunteering work that you are doing and will do over the course of your studies at the University of Southampton!
Our mission within this scheme is to make sure that your volunteering accomplishments and experience are recognised in a legitimate way and can be showcased to prospective employers, therefore enhancing your future employability
We recognise your volunteering experience by issuing an e-Badge, which is essentially a micro-credential of your volunteering experience.
The volunteering experience we recognise can range from organising an awareness campaign to volunteering in an animal shelter to helping out at a fundraising event to representing fellow students’ views.
e-Badges fall under four pathways – Leading Academic Change, Serving Community, Developing Business and Enriching Student Life – and four levels of engagement – Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum (awarded for high impact initiative or change which adheres with SUSU values regardless of the pathway). You can choose a pathway and work your way up, and each level encourages you to develop your skills the complexities of those skills become more apparent.
e-Badges are earnt through the Open Badge Academy.
To earn an e-Badge, you will be asked to provide evidence of your volunteering for a number of tasks, which are closely aligned with what employers are looking for in graduates – communication, organisation, collaboration and understanding of stakeholders. Your evidence can include plans, e-mails, images, videos, social media posts and more. To help us understand the context and meaning of your evidence, you will be asked to add a short narrative as a comment.
If you happen to have any questions about the STRIVE scheme, you can always reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Completing a STRIVE e-Badge
To complete a STRIVE e-Badge, just follow the four easy steps.
You are welcome to upload your evidence gradually throughout the year or all at once at any point in the year.
Once you feel confident, you can submit your e-Badge evidence to be reviewed by our staff-Sabbatical Officer teams.
The STRIVE e-Badges will be awarded three times a year – in December, March and June.
How to get started with the STRIVE scheme …
Check out our step-by-step video, or read the instructions below.
- Visit: ‘www.openbadgeacademy.com/susu/memberjoinand make sure you’re signing up to the University of Southampton Students’ Union Academy.
- Enter your details as requested. You can verify your email address while you wait for your account to be added as a member to SUSU Academy.
- Complete your profile and fill in the bio.
- Click on ‘My Academy’ to see SUSU’s badges, and click on the one you’d like to complete.
How to complete an e-Badge…
- Click on the badge you would like to sign up to
2. Look through the tasks, and if it’s the right fit for you, click ‘Start Badge’
3. Go through each Task and upload evidence by clicking ‘Add Evidence’ button at the bottom. It’s best to name the files so we can easily spot what they’re for e.g. task 1 evidence 1, task 1 evidence 2 etc. You may need to add more than one piece of evidence for each task.
4. Once it’s all uploaded, scroll to the top and click ‘Claim’.
Adding your e-Badges to LinkedIn
You can share your e-Badges via LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Click on ‘My Profile’ and then drop down menu ‘OBA Badge Profile’. The arrow symbol means you can share your award on social media, the cube symbol is a way of pushing it to LinkedIn and Backpack.
Things to remember!
Once you’ve clicked ‘Claim’ you can’t edit your submission, so always double check!
You will get chance to re-submit the badge once (in case you are asked to change your evidence or add to your narrative.
When you share your e-Badge(s) on LinkedIn, the link will always take you or the employer looking at your profile to the evidence you provided. This way we are transparent and also showcase your achievements to the world!
If you have any questions about the STRIVE scheme, get in touch at email@example.com