Spring Elections: Run for Union President
If you’re thinking of running for the role of Union President, you might want to know what you’ll be working on day-to-day, and what you’re responsible for. Find out more about life as Union President below…
The Union President acts as the figurehead of the Union and is the public spokesperson, representative of all students. They ensure the Union has a strong presence across all University of Southampton campuses and Halls, and represent the views of students at sites to the University. By encouraging feedback from students about sustainability issues and lobbying the University, the President ensures we are doing our best for the world around us.
Leading the Union
- Act as the figurehead of the Union, being the public spokesperson and managing relations locally.
- Provide leadership to the Sabbatical team.
- Be the key liaison with the University and the Vice Chancellor on overarching and general matters.
Ensuring a Union presence at sites
- Ensure that the Union has a strong presence at all University campuses, and develop and support activities there.
- Lead the Halls Representation structure, ensuring students have a voice in their Halls and lobbying the University accordingly
- Work on long-term strategy with the University surrounding sites and halls to benefit students and improve their representation there.
Creating a more sustainable environment
- Encourage student input and participation in sustainability matters, and lobbying the University accordingly.
- Work to ensure both the short and long term sustainability of the Union and University.
- Responsible for all feedback on Union Services via ‘You Make Change’, and ensuring there is appropriate student input into the Union’s commercial offering.
Find out what it’s like to run as a candidate in our elections here: How to be a Candidate: Top Tips
Sound like the perfect role for you?
Nominate yourself here: susu.org/elections.
Nominations close on Wednesday 13 February at 13:00.