Spring Elections: Run for VP Education and Democracy!
If you’re thinking of running for the role of VP Education and Democracy, you might want to know what you’ll be working on day-to-day, and what you’re responsible for. Find out more about life as one of our Sabbatical Officers below…
VP Education and Democracy supports students at all levels of study from Undergraduate to Postgraduate Research by representing their academic interests for their course, faculty and to the University. They ensure the Union is lobbying the University on behalf of students to improve the quality of education at Southampton, and lead on all areas of democracy at the Union including elections, student voice and representation.
Representing students’ academic interests
- Lead and support the Undergraduate academic representation structure.
- Provide representation for all Postgraduate students, including leading the Postgraduate Committee and the Postgraduate Research Faculty Reps.
- Work to increase student engagement in these structures.
Ensuring students have a voice in the University
- Lobby the University over students’ academic and educational issues and attend high level University education strategy meetings.
- Be the lead on all student feedback mechanisms, such as Making Change Summits.
- Act as Deputy President of the Union.
Leading on Union Democracy
- Oversee the Union’s 3 main elections; Autumn, Spring and Summer.
- Lead on the Union’s democratic processes, including All Students Votes, Petitions and the Union AGM.
- Oversee and promote the ‘You Make Change’ platform.
Find out what it’s like to run as a candidate in our elections here: How to be a Candidate: Top Tips
Sound like the perfect role for you?
Nominate yourself here: susu.org/elections.
Nominations close on Wednesday 13 February at 13:00.