A Spotlight On Sustainability
Over the past few months SUSU has made some fantastic steps towards becoming a more sustainable organisation. On Wednesday 04 December we are holding a Sustainability Spotlight in Building 42 to celebrate and inform students of the good work already taking place, and look to the future to see what more we can achieve.
On the day there will be talks in The Cube, a sustainability fair, and a networking event and Q&A with industry experts.
Talks are as follows:
14:00 – Green Energy and Travel
14:45 – ‘Rising Tide: Sustainability across our Blue planet’ with Ivan Haigh
The Sustainability Fair will run from 13:00 – 18:00, confirmed stalls for this are:
SUSU’s The Plant Pot
SUSU Places – The Bridge, The Shop and The Stag’s
The Bike Doctor
Marine Conservation Society
Vegan and Vegetarian Society
Meliora Journal & Symposium
Pack for Good
The Final Straw Solent
Friends of the Earth
Green Party Society
The networking event will run between 16:00 – 16:30, followed by the first Student Sustainability Forum and Q&A until 18:00.
In the meantime, here are some big steps we have taken at SUSU:
- In all our outlets, there is now a higher price for hot drinks purchased in a paper cup and a lower one for drinks purchased with a re-useable cup. You can now bring in a reusable cup of any brand, including the Keep Cups that we sell, into any of our outlets to get the cheaper hot drinks price.
- Receipts will no longer be printed in our outlets unless requested.
- The Shop has seen the introduction of the one by one eco range, 100% recyclable bags for pastries, and reusable cotton tote bags.
- Our zero waste shop offering sustainable items is open in The Plant Pot (Level 3, Building 42, Highfield Campus).
- The WSA Scrapyard has been launched, allowing students to donate unwanted paper and scrapbooks for re-use by others.
- Free Sandwich Friday sees any leftover sandwiches from University outlets available for free on the concourse each Friday evening.
Have an idea for something we aren’t doing? Submit a You Make Change ticket here.Tags: sustainability, Sustainability Spotlight, zero waste