Thinking of running for VP Education & Democracy?
Nominations are now open in our Spring Elections until Wednesday 12 February, and one of the roles you can run for is VP Education & Democracy.
Do you have ideas about how to improve student’s academic experience or desire to increase student engagement with SUSU’s advice centre? This may be the role for you! All it takes is one great idea and lots of passion for the role – remember, change starts with you.
Previous examples of work an individual in this position has achieved include reducing printing prices for all students across the university as well as acting as the Deputy Returning Officer during the Spring Elections period.
Don’t worry if you don’t have much experience of a role like this, all our Sabbs receive training on lots of topics before you start, such as project and time management. There’s also a big team of core SUSU staff to support you.
The main responsibilities of VP Education & Democracy are:
Represent students’ academic interests
- To lead and support the Undergraduate academic representation structure
- To provide representation for all Postgraduate students, including leading the Postgraduate Committee and the Postgraduate Research Faculty Reps.
- Work to increase student engagement in these structures.
Ensure students have a voice in the University
- To lobby the University over students’ academic and educational issues and attend high level University education strategy meetings.
- To be the lead on all student feedback mechanisms, such as Making Change Summits.
- Act as Deputy President of the Union.
Lead on Union Democracy
- To oversee the Unions 3 main elections; Autumn, Spring and Summer.
- Lead on the Union’s democratic processes, including All Student Votes, Petitions and the Union AGM.
- To oversee and promote the ‘You Make Change’ platform.
You can find a full list of information about the role of VP Education & Democracy here.
How to nominate yourself:
To nominate yourself head to susu.org/elections.
Nominations close on Wednesday 12 February at 13:00.
If this role isn’t for you but you know someone who would be perfect for it, you can suggest a friend here: susu.org/suggest-a-friendTags: democracy, nominations, Sabbatical Officers, sabbs, Spring Elections 2020, VP Education and Democracy