Thinking of running for VP Sports?
Nominations are now open in our Spring Elections until Wednesday 12 February, and one of the roles you can run for is VP Sports.
Do you enjoy working with sports clubs and want to develop a better sporting experience for students? This might be the role for you! All it takes is one great idea and lots of passion for the role – remember, change starts with you.
Previous examples of work an individual in this position has achieved include the introduction of Women in Sports Week as well as leading Team Southampton to victory over Portsmouth at Varsity 11/12 times!
Don’t worry if you don’t have much experience of a role like this, all our Sabbs receive training on lots of topics before you start, such as project and time management. There’s also a big team of core SUSU staff to support you.
The main responsibilities of VP Sports are:
Leading the Athletic Union
- To support the running of Athletic Union Clubs: acting as President of the Athletic Union, representing all affiliated sports clubs and overseeing the grant allocation process.
- Advocating on behalf of these clubs to the University.
- Leading on the Union’s annual Varsity, AU Ball, and other sporting events throughout the year.
Developing sporting performance
- Representing the institution within British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS).
- Working to improve sporting performance and elite sport at Southampton.
- Work with the University to look at long term strategy with regards to sporting facilities.
Encouraging participation in sport
- Encouraging students to lead a healthy and active lifestyle and ensuring all students have a fair opportunity to participate in sporting activity.
- Lobbying the University to make sport more accessible for all students.
- Overseeing the strategy of the Intramural league and promoting student participation in Intramural sports.
You can find a full list of information about the role of VP Sports here.
How to nominate yourself:
To nominate yourself head to susu.org/elections.
Nominations close on Wednesday 12 February at 13:00.
If this role isn’t for you but you know someone who would be perfect for it, you can suggest a friend here: susu.org/suggest-a-friendTags: democracy, nominations, Sabbatical Officers, sabbs, Spring Elections 2020, VP Sports