Take part in the Mammal Challenge 2021!
Help save UK wildlife and be in with a chance of winning prizes by taking part in the University of Southampton’s Wildlife Society’s Mammal Challenge Week 2021!
The University Mammal Challenge (UMAC) is a year-round national challenge run by The Mammal Society to encourage university students to collect data on the mammals present on their university campus. They collect data on the 101 species of mammals in the UK. You don’t need to be a mammal expert to take part in the challenge, you just need to have a keen eye and enthusiasm when out on your post-lockdown walks!
Between Monday 19 – Sunday 25 April, the University of Southampton’s Wildlife Society want to encourage you to take part in our mini version of the challenge by logging your local mammal sightings (UK) or by sharing photos of your sighting with us.
The information you provide in the challenge can help save UK wildlife. Mammals are some of the most unrecorded wildlife as they avoid humans and are mainly active at night, and unrecorded species may be under threat. Campus habitats are particularly poorly monitored, but The Mammal Society could use your data to better calculate abundance and distribution of species.
How to Take Part
- Find out more about the challenge and how you can spot Mammals by attending The Wildlife Society’s Mammal Challenge talk on Monday 19 April, 18:00. Join the talk on Teams here.
- Sign up to the challenge on The Mammal Society Website & download their Mammal Tracker App to log your sightings (UK only). The Mammal Mapper App has guides to help you identify mammals and their field signs, such as footprints and droppings.
- Enter SUSU’s Mammal Challenge Photo Competition: Share your photos of Mammals with us to be in with a chance of winning a Tony’s Chocolate Gift Pack, Vegummies Giant Sweet Pouch or an October Books Voucher.
- Prizes will be awarded for the Best Photo, Most Mammals Spotted and Most Unique Mammal Spotted.
- To submit your photos, post it on Instagram or Facebook using the tag #SotonMammals or email your photos to the SUSU Activities team via email@example.com.
- Competition closes Sunday 25 April at midnight. Winners will be decided the week beginning Monday 26 April, and will be contacted either via email or on social media.
- Full terms and conditions can be found here: SUSU Terms and Conditions