The student group, Southampton Hub, launches Bio-Cycle, Southampton’s first ever student-led food waste recycling scheme in a bid to benefit the local community by recycling and repurposing otherwise wasted food.
The scheme works by providing you with a five litre food waste caddy, filters and a roll of compostable bin liners at the cost of £10, which includes automatic registration for the regular weekly food waste pickup service.
Up to 160 students are already benefitting from the project, with waste collections organised at 33 households across Southampton, equating to approximately 200kg of recycled food waste every month.
All collected … Read the rest
Tags: Bio-Cycle, environment, Food, green, landfill, local, recycling, Southampton Hub, Southamptons, student community, students, success, sustainability, Team Southampton, University of SOuthampton, waste, Win
Let’s start off with some stats to surprise you:
- 16% food we take home from a shop, we throw away.
- Equates to £15 each week (average household).
- 50% of total food wastage comes from our homes and 50% of our wastage is actually edible!
- Huge environmental damages – the process of landfill degrades the land, pollutes with toxic gases and uses up scarce resources.
- Waste reduction
- Save money
- Improved environmental conscience
- If we ate all the wasted edible food, the environmental impact would be the same as taking a quarter of all cars off the road!
… Read the rest
Tags: cooking, environment, food waste, green eco-warrior, household, impact, landfill, life hacks, money, pollution, savings, students, Students Union, top tips, waste