Array

Student Taxi Scheme

So a while ago I posted about the Student Taxi Scheme that we are implementing here at SUSU.

This is going to start on Monday 30th January 2012.

We’re running the scheme with Radio Taxis.  There will be a few simple steps for you to follow:

1. Phone Radio Taxis to book a cab and state that you’re using the Student Taxi Scheme

2. You’ll receive a text from Radio Taxis stating the cars registration plate, make, model and colour of the car so you can be sure it’s your taxi.

3. When you arrive at your destination you’ll give the taxi driver your student ID and both you and the taxi driver will sign the receipt for the journey.

4. Within 24hours the taxi driver will return your ID card and receipt to the SUSU Reception and we’ll pay for the taxi fare in the interim.

5. You can come and collect your ID card after 24hours from the SUSU Reception and pay for your taxi fare.

Whilst setting this scheme up with Radio Taxis, we discussed a transaction fee.

The transaction fee will cover the driver’s petrol costs of returning your student ID and also their time.  So the question is how much is reasonable to charge as a transaction fee?

£2 has been suggested, but is this too much? Should it be £1 or 50p? Or even £3.

Please respond to this blog to let me know your thoughts.

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Comments on "Student Taxi Scheme"

1. Beckie
    Andre
    21/12/2011 at 7:02 pm Permalink

£2 is probably reasonable, but taxi prices are pretty steep anyway. Most people go in taxis with friends though, so the price will be split. I’d obviously be tempted to offer £1 as an alternative, as I can see no one having a problem with that. £2 just seems more realistic.

2. Beckie
    Jack
    21/12/2011 at 7:08 pm Permalink

I think £2 sounds rather reasonable!

3. Beckie
    Chris
    21/12/2011 at 7:09 pm Permalink

Is this for any taxi journey? Will you get a copy of the reciept to re-claim your card, and use to enter places such as The Stag’s, The Union, and the library etc.?

4. Beckie
    Frankie
    21/12/2011 at 7:18 pm Permalink

Hi Chris

This will apply if you’re in say a vulnerable position and have no money. You will be able to use this scheme. Both yourself and the taxi driver will sign the receipt and this alongside with your student ID will be brought to the SUSU reception. You’ll then be able to get your card back. There will be a maximum of 24 hours between the journey and your card being returned so once you get this back you can go along to the Stag’s etc. Hope that answers the question, I know that might not seem ideal, however we’re making the time to get your card back as short as possible.

5. Beckie
    Thomas
    23/12/2011 at 9:31 pm Permalink

£2 sounds fine, afterall it takes valuable time and petrol for the taxi service to bring the card back to the union.

Just a quick question. Will this scheme apply in Winchester, and if so will the card be taken to WSASU instead? If it’s not yet going to be available there will SUSU work towards providing it for Winchester students?

6. Beckie
    Mike
    04/01/2012 at 5:24 pm Permalink

Whilst this looks like it might be a good idea it’s not particularly clear if this is aimed at normal taxi Journeys or more just emergency ones and if aimed at emergency trips is there a way to stop abuse of the system ?

Also how does this work with the Uni Regulations which I believe require members of the Uni to carry their ID card at all times when on University property and for access to places that require the University smart card (for Instance I believe the ECS computing labs use card access for students).

7. Beckie
    Frankie
    06/01/2012 at 1:18 pm Permalink

Thomas, thank you for your comment. This scheme won’t apply in Winchester to begin with. However I will assess how it works in Southampton and if it is a success I will definitely look to implementing it in Winchester.

Mike, thank you for your comment. It is more aimed at emergencies as it’s a safety initiative, but it’s to prevent students walking home by themselves at night. I appreciate there is the possibility of abuse. I am working with Student Services and we will have communication with them to say that we have a student’s ID card so that if a taxi journey is over £10 and a student tries to buy a new one, they know to direct them to SUSU reception.

University Security are aware and supportive of this scheme, so this shouldn’t be a problem. There is a maximum of 24 hours before the card will be returned as I am aware that ID cards are used for most things. I hope that answers your questions. I know there could be a few issues, however I hope that the scheme prevents some of the incidents that have happened to students walking home by themselves after a night out.

Trackbacks

1. [...] you can’t afford the £1.50 after your night out, then you can also take advantage of our Student Taxi…