Array

Disco, Disco, Disco! – more Grad Ball details!

Happy Good Friday, I hope you’re all having a wonderful easter filled with fun, family and dissertations!

So come and procrastinate for a second because I’m excited to be allowed to announce the line up for Room 2 (New York Disco) at this years Grad Ball!

You’ve told us from the Nightlife survey that most of you like a bit of Chart/Pop music so we are bringing you Chris Stark (BBC Radio 1’s Scott Mills Show) to wizz you through Every Number 1 from Freshers 2009 to Summer 2012! I know that im going to be spending most of my night in disco!

On Top of this we have the awesome Cuban Brothers with both a live performance and DJ Set! Check out them live in Edinburgh here:

We’re all pretty excited here and we hope you are starting to feel it too!

Check back over the next couple of weeks to find out whats happening in Room 3 (Bar Quarter Stage), Room 1 (Ice House) and more…

To see what we’ve already revealed click here and here.

Tags: ,

17 Comments on "Disco, Disco, Disco! – more Grad Ball details!"

1. Hannah
    Andre
    06/04/2012 at 12:35 pm Permalink

Chris Stark… again… really, SUSU?!

2. Hannah
    Shane
    06/04/2012 at 12:45 pm Permalink

For someone to master the Cheese Room and take control of three years of Chart I couldn’t think of anyone better…could you?

It’s important to bear in mind there are over 3000 people going to this ball and not every part will appeal to you, but trust me across all four areas there is something to please everyone!

3. Hannah
    Andre
    06/04/2012 at 12:51 pm Permalink

I’m sure there will be something to please everyone, and that Starkey will do a decent job as the DJ in that room, but surely a change would’ve been nice, given that he has performed at a bunch of SUSU events already this year? That’s all I’m saying…

4. Hannah
    Sasha
    06/04/2012 at 1:08 pm Permalink

its all in the songs hes going to play – a DJ is mainly about the skills to mix, working the crowd and the songs. having a different name DJ of equal skill and same song list wouldnt change anything in terms of experience.

plus as an alumnus, he loves playing southampton events and will really get the crowd going – much more than an act who doesnt know what were about!

5. Hannah
    Andre
    06/04/2012 at 3:58 pm Permalink

You make a good point about ‘knowing the crowd’, Sasha. Thanks for your response.

6. Hannah
    Jasmine
    06/04/2012 at 12:51 pm Permalink

Boring.

7. Hannah
    Chloe Richardson
    06/04/2012 at 1:46 pm Permalink

I love Chris Stark, so won’t complain about that – But please can we have music from Freshers 08 too for us fourth years! And no doubt a few medics will want Freshers 07.. 😀

8. Hannah
    Tom steadman
    06/04/2012 at 8:36 pm Permalink

Snap, theres a whole extra year of amazing tunes that we remember from our freshers. He doesn’t even have to play many!!! To those complaining about Chris stark, I’d rather have a dj who loves southampton uni as much as us that charges reasonably then paying someone a fortune who won’t put any effort and enthusiasm in!!

9. Hannah
    Chloe Richardson
    16/04/2012 at 5:51 pm Permalink

I completely agree Tom – He’s a great DJ, AND he loves our University, so why not! I don’t know who would be better to be honest.

10. Hannah
    Amy
    06/04/2012 at 7:57 pm Permalink

If you say there will be “something for everybody” can I have Morrissey please?

Thankyou! 🙂

11. Hannah
    Leila
    08/04/2012 at 9:18 pm Permalink

I second this!

12. Hannah
    Chimp
    06/04/2012 at 8:43 pm Permalink

Same old SUSU booking boring acts that you could see at the Cube any other week. When I see what other Uni’s book I really do wonder why theres any point not being part of NUS when it provides us nothing except weak branding expenditures and crappy acts.

Be creative… I was expecting it would be a DJ set from Chase and Status and the Cut Up Boys AGAIN though….

13. Hannah
    David Gilani
    08/04/2012 at 11:56 pm Permalink

Not sure whether it was Starkey or SUSU that came up with the idea… but playing every single #1 sounds awesome! I bet Chris’s gonna have fun trying to mix in the Military Wives single.

14. Hannah
    ell
    09/04/2012 at 3:04 am Permalink

terrible. no offense but starky was prob free (or reduced) … hes an ex student and was djing when we were freshers. cuban brothers… what a waste.

15. Hannah
    Anon
    18/04/2012 at 12:34 am Permalink

mmm well considering I’ve never organised something of this scale personally, so it is a little hard to criticise…on the other hand, hearing about past/other grad events this seems a little underwhelming…Just wondering if it’d be possible to see the cost breakdown and find out where you’re sinking my, and more importantly an estimated 2999 other people’s, £50. That should give you £15000 to play with? Given a free venue…where has the money gone? I remain a skeptic but would be happy to be disproven.

16. Hannah
    confused
    18/04/2012 at 12:16 pm Permalink

I too would like a break down in the cost please. The break dancing looks good but im sure this group could not have been that expensive as otherwise why did we not just ask the uni’s society or a ‘less known’ group instead? (i have never heard of the cuban brothers so dont believe that it is worth paying a lot for a group that I don’t consider to be ‘known’). also if Starky is free, and so is the venue, im confused as to why we are paying £50. If we are getting £50 worth of drink then no complaints, but I’m sure you realise that none of us are rolling in money, and so i would appreciate knowing where my money is actually going. Also how will oceania be decorated?

Trackbacks

1. [...] reception.Check out one of his videos: Beat a MaxxWith Radio One’s Chris Stark set to play the disco room…