Array

A Barrel of Laughs – more Grad Ball details!

Sadly the Easter holiday is drawing to a close 🙁 but the good news is that we have more Grad Ball details to reveal; this time we reveal who will be announcing the line-up for Room 3 (Bar Quarter Stage).

This year we are excited to offer an extra dimension to your Grad Ball experience. For the first time ever we will be bringing you LIVE COMEDY!

To whet your appetite we have one of Britain’s rising stars of comedy and winner of Let’s Dance for Comic Relief 2011, Charlie Baker.

We didn’t just stop with one comic though.

The headline comedy act is well known for her appearances on Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow and Live at the Apollo and she has also been dubbed “Britain’s best young female comic by any yardstick” by The Guardian. No doubt Shappi Khorsandi will be a fantastic act to keep you entertained.

The entertainment doesn’t stop there. You will also be provided with a fantastic set from ‘The one and only’ Chesney Hawkes (see what I did there?). If you don’t know who Chesney Hawkes is check out this video and I have no doubt it’ll jog your memory.

As the date draws ever closer we’re getting more and more excited and we hope you are too. Make sure you check back next week, as we’ll be revealing the headlining acts for Room 1 (Ice House), before tickets finally go on sale on Wednesday 18 April.

In the meantime you can refresh your memory on what’s been revealed so far: the venue, carnival and Room 2 (New York Disco)

Tags: ,

18 Comments on "A Barrel of Laughs – more Grad Ball details!"

1. Jonny
    Luke O'Brien
    13/04/2012 at 5:01 pm Permalink

Chesney Hawkes was bloody brilliant last year

2. Jonny
    Oli Coles
    13/04/2012 at 5:21 pm Permalink

Room 3 sounds good, like the fact that the comedy brings something different rather than just having music/dance acts. Chesney’s set at the Grad Ball last year was amazing, so glad he’s back! Let’s hope people don’t just judge him on only having one hit. Hoping for a few big names in the Ice House though…any hints on ticket prices yet?

3. Jonny
    Jonny
    13/04/2012 at 5:47 pm Permalink

Hi Oli,

I’m glad that you’re feeling positive about this 🙂
    Regarding ticket prices they’ll be around the same price as last year which was £49 but this year we have eliminated the card charges too so you wont get any extra hidden costs. Last year prices reached up to £55 with card charges and we have made sure that the same thing wont happend this year.

I hope this helps 🙂

4. Jonny
    Andre
    13/04/2012 at 6:23 pm Permalink

Very good choice to include some comedy, as it will provide a fantastic and widely appreciated alternative to the main act which obviously won’t be for everybody. Shappi Khorshandi is fantastic too, and she’ll make it a great night for all who attend! Also heard good things about Chesney Hawkes last year, so I guess it’s cool he’s back.

5. Jonny
    Hannah
    14/04/2012 at 10:57 pm Permalink

Do you know how much tickets will be yet and can we buy more than one online?

6. Jonny
    Jonny
    14/04/2012 at 11:07 pm Permalink

Hi Hannah,

Ticket prices will be around the same price as last year which was £49 but this year we have eliminated the card charges too so you wont get any extra hidden costs. Last year prices reached up to £55 with card charges and we have made sure that the same thing wont happen this year.

Thanks

7. Jonny
    Hannah
    15/04/2012 at 11:23 am Permalink

Thanks Jonny. Will we be able to buy more than one online?

8. Jonny
    Jonny
    15/04/2012 at 11:28 am Permalink

Hi Hannah,

Yes, a single person will be able to buy up to 4 tickets. I hope this is figure is enough for you.

9. Jonny
    Anonymous
    16/04/2012 at 9:14 pm Permalink

Can I just ask what exactly we’re paying for?

1. An awful venue choice
    2. No food
    3. Disappointing acts (certainly NOT something for everyone)
    4. 3 rides at a carnival
    5. Embarrassment when anyone asks WHERE our grad ball is, or WHO is performing. Ridiculous, so unbelievably disappointed with every aspect of this so far. Instead of being something to look forward to, everyone I know has said the same thing: ‘I don’t want to go. Have you heard where it is?’. Having read every excuse you’ve given, I still don’t see why Oceana had to be your choice.

There are thousands of us… so why exactly are tickets so expensive for what seems like a very AVERAGE night?

10. Jonny
    Chloe
    17/04/2012 at 11:49 am Permalink

I would also like to hear the response to this. I thought Oceana was a good choice because of the built in sound system, inexpensive prices and general savings (including cutting out a meal) so that SUSU could splash out a bit more on acts/ further subsidise the tickets. I personally think a good night out is better than a fancy building. The comedy is an original idea. But even the FRESHERS’ ball had better acts than Chesney Hawkes, come on. Where is the money going???

11. Jonny
    Jonny
    17/04/2012 at 8:14 pm Permalink

Hi Chloe,

I would like to reiterate that the acts that we have announced so far aren’t an exhaustive list and we have more to announce tomorrow. Even after the acts we announce tomorrow there is still the potential for even more acts so I can assure you that we have saved a substantial amount more money than last year to spend on acts. Chesney Hawkes was absolutely incredible last year and even overshadowed our headline act. I have no doubt that he’ll be just as good this time around. I’ll openly admit that I didn’t even know who he was before I went to the grad ball last year but I left with the opinion that he was one of the best acts I’ve ever seen. He interacts with the audience so well.

There are thousands of students at the University who are interested in one way or another in the grad ball and it is unrealistic to assume that we will have acts that will please everyone. But I can assure you whether or not you like the acts that the grad ball is a unique experience that you will LOVE.
    The first grad ball I attended was 2 years ago in the Guildhall. This “grad ball” was held over 2 nights so you wouldn’t be able to go to the evening event with all of your friends. Many people were unhappy with this concept including myself, not to mention the headline act was far from my taste in music but to this day that grad ball was one of the best nights of my Uni life because the atmoshpere was incredible.
    I’m 110% certain that this grad ball will be even better and I wouldn’t even put my name to this event if I didn’t think it was going to be anything less than brilliant

12. Jonny
    Miranda
    17/04/2012 at 2:30 pm Permalink

Don’t go then? Can’t say I’d want someone so ridiculously negative at the same event as me anyway. Oceana is just a venue – none of the night is being run by the Oceana promotional/events team, it’s a place with enough rooms/facilities to ensure that lots of people can go and have a good time. It would be pretty vapid to judge an event just because of the place it’s held in. As for your other complaints? Pretty much everyone I know who went last year said that Chesney was great, the comedy aspect adds a twist and some variety, and the last act hasn’t been announced yet. Maybe it’s not entirely to your tastes but that’s pretty self-absorbed to assume that everyone else shares your opinion and finds it disappointing. I could go on but, honestly, you’re either trolling or moronically repeating other peoples’ complaints that have already been shot down elsewhere.

So yeah, please don’t go. I don’t want to hear your whining ruining everyone else’s night.

13. Jonny
    Anonymous
    17/04/2012 at 8:17 pm Permalink

To deny that a venue makes no difference to an event is just plain stupid. If we’re going to be celebrating 3 years having worked hard at University to end up in Oceana because our SU thought it was the best option, then fine- but at least make up for it with exciting acts and cheaper tickets.

To be quite honest Miranda, having voted myself in the SU elections, I think I’m fully entitled to freedom of expression here. Self-absorbed? I think that’s you darling, I was awaiting an official reply for something I’m not happy with. You on the other hand, see it necessary to throw your own opinion in there. How about leave it to the SU next time? I think the events page shows enough disappointment to quite easily recognise that there are more people than just me who are unhappy.

I would like to know where our money is going..

Thanks 🙂

14. Jonny
    Jonny
    17/04/2012 at 8:34 pm Permalink

Hi Anonymous,

There is still more to be revealed before tickets go on sale tomorrow so please do revisit the website tomorrow. This means we haven’t yet revealed all the acts on which the money was spent yet but we have always planned to release the information steadily in the build up to when tickets go on sale.
    I can only stress that to date we still may not have released information on acts that fit to everyone’s taste but I’ve been to the last two grad balls and can tell you that the number of acts we’ve released already outnumbers the total number of acts we’ve had at the previous grad balls, and this is without revealing our headline acts for room 1 (Ice House). So there was even less choice in previous years but people still enjoyed their nights.

I hope you hold out and so see what else there is to come for the grad ball

15. Jonny
    ANON
    17/04/2012 at 12:13 pm Permalink

Personally I disagree, I think there’s a lot more news to come and you can’t judge it on just the few deatils we have at the moment, getting some of these acts can’t have been easy.
    The venue shouldn’t influence the night you have, just thing about how much fun we all have about Jesters – it’s not exactly the Royal Albert Hall is it?

Really excited, I think you’ve done an amazing job.

16. Jonny
    Jonny
    17/04/2012 at 8:18 pm Permalink

Hi ANON,

I really appreciate the comment as it’s rare you get the compliments. I certain that grad ball this year will more than meet your expectations 🙂

17. Jonny
    Ned
    17/04/2012 at 8:29 pm Permalink

Hi there, I’ve got a couple of questions.

How much will drinks be at the ball? (is it set by Oceana?)

Do you predict tickets will sell out quickly? Do I need to do it tomorrow?

Will there be a itemized list of the expenditure of the event, so we can see where the money was spent? Where could we find this info?

Thanks in advance for answers!

18. Jonny
    Bryan
    18/04/2012 at 10:39 am Permalink

Hi

Do tickets usually sell out? I just ask because I’m not willing to pay £50 to see Chesney Hawkes but he’s the only act that’s caught my eye so far, so although I want to go I want to make sure I’ll be getting my moneys worth, so was planning on waiting to see if you book any good acts – it’s all a bit commercial so far and not all students like commercial.

Bryan