Plans from a VP Comms – …Commocracedia?
The whole Sabbatical team (Shane, Chloe, Sam, myself, Sasha, Dean, and Nicole) have been uploading their plans for the year over the last few days, and now it’s mine turn! My plans split into the three main areas, which my role is defined as: media, communication, and democracy (Demedications…?). I have noted several key projects that I wish to achieve in each of these areas.
1) Support SUSU Media to plan, collaborate, build community, and achieve
- Plan – by supporting the committees to develop plans for the year, like this one; and providing a comprehensive training week for them.
- Collaborate – through the newly created ‘News exec‘ position; and on bigger projects throughout the year (such as elections and varsity).
- Build Community – we are currently redeveloping media resources to act as a community space (for SUSU Media and our Student Leaders); creating the beginnings of a SUSU Media Alumni list to provide support for future years; creating a SUSU Media awards and ball night; and working with the Wessex Scene and Edge committees to develop a national student publication support network (like the SRA and NaSTA for student radio and television, respectively).
- Achieve – through their presence and input to Student Media conferences and awards; and by supporting them to create Taster Days.
- For Everyone – a new design for SUSU.org; a more open and inclusive approach to SUSU events; a complete Freshers’ experience (that starts from this Thursday); a new room bookings system; and new channels to build community and interact.
- For Student Groups (working with Shane, Chloe and our student leaders) – development of an online societies hub; opening communication with the University for performance spaces and Post-Graduate communication; and improving collaboration between different student groups.
3) Foster a culture of accountability and transparency to build faith in elections
- Accountability of your Sabbatical Officers – through the development of scrutiny panels; more blog updates from the team; spaces on SUSU.org to question your officer; and leading the creation of the SUSU Annual Review.
- Democracy! – a holistic elections strategy (considering elections as a whole to reduce the number of individual voting periods, and improve our communications); lead on the holding of the NUS Referendum.
- Governance – Review the structure of our standing committees; provide support and training to Union Council; and make the decisions of meetings easier to access.
So please let me know your thoughts on these plans. What areas affect you? Are there elements from my manifesto, that I’ve missed? Is there anything that looks good?
As always; thanks for reading through, hope to see you soon!