Welcome to SUSU!

Huge congratulations to all those getting their A-level results today and everyone who will be joining the University of Southampton in September! We’re the Sabbatical team, and we have taken a year out from our studies to run the students’ union. We’re really looking forward to meeting you and have prepared a little challenge for your first year at the University of Southampton…

Your Sabbatical team for the coming year

20 things to do in First year:

15. Pig out with a SUSU breakfast
  16. Carry your food shopping on the Uni-Link bus
  17. Take your parents to the Cowherds on the common
  18. See the Saints play in the Premiership
  19. Watch a Performing Arts play
  20. Buy more fancy dress clothes than normal ones

There’s so much to do too – and whatever you decide to do with your time at Southampton, you’re going to love it! One tip of advice though: say yes, try something new, and make the most of your time at University, because they’re the best years of your life! First stop: Freshers’ Week!

Don’t forget to say hello on Facebook or tweet us @YourSUSU

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

23 Comments on "Welcome to SUSU!"

1. Sam
    James
    16/08/2012 at 11:50 am Permalink

Hi Sam

Umm I’ve just got my results and am coming to Southampton!! But I was wondering what is a sabbatical? I mean the word sabbatical sounds like something a naughty priest does….?

Are you a student? What do you do?

Cheers

James

2. Sam
    Sam
    16/08/2012 at 12:10 pm Permalink

Hi James,

In SUSU (your new Students’ Union), the Sabbaticals (or Sabbs for short) are the 7 full time officers who are responsible for directing and shaping what the Union does for all students. These include 6 Vice Presidents who each cover an area of activity, from sports to education, and 1 President (Me!) who leads the team, supports SUSU as an organisation, and represents the Union on a national level.

The word Sabbatical means to take period of time out of your regular work in order to undertake an opportunity. Academics often do this to study elsewhere for a while.

For us we take a year out of our studies, in the middle or at the end, to work full time for the Union in our positions. That is if we’re successful in the March elections.

Alongside the Sabbs there are dozens of student officers who also run parts of the Union, which any student can run for during elections, so plenty of opportunities.

Congratulations in your results, what are you most looking forward to when you get here?

3. Sam
    Jonny
    16/08/2012 at 12:25 pm Permalink

Damn, I’ve been here for almost 5 years and there’s still things on that list I haven’t done 🙁

4. Sam
    Sam
    16/08/2012 at 1:29 pm Permalink

Still got a little time left!

5. Sam
    Ben
    16/08/2012 at 12:31 pm Permalink

Southampton looks the greatest place ever. Is it true that there is a club called Jesters where you can have a beer for 50p. That sounds mental! What is the stags? is that equally nuts. I cant wait! First round on me wheeey

6. Sam
    Paula
    16/08/2012 at 12:40 pm Permalink

I think the stags is a pub on campus and apparently it’s right next to the SU! Bet you’re gonna be drunk for most your lectures Ben haha
    X

7. Sam
    Claire
    16/08/2012 at 12:43 pm Permalink

The great thing about Southampton is that nearly every night you can get amazing cheap drinks deals.

Monday – Jesters – 50p pints / 75p snake bite
    Tuesday – Sobar – £1 doubles / £1.50 triples etc
    Wednesday – Dungeon – £1 doubles
    Thursday – Lennons – £1.25 bottles

Pretty sure that’s right, anyway. Either way, all these places are in Portswood, the student district of Southampton, so nothing’s ever too far away.

8. Sam
    Prasana Uthayakumar
    16/08/2012 at 12:51 pm Permalink

Lol. You’ll find out about Jesters sooner or later. But yeh, 50p pints and Jesticles are the only things you need to remember.

9. Sam
    Sam
    16/08/2012 at 1:31 pm Permalink

The Staggs in the Union Pub, which is a cosey place to chill out after lectures. Is also where we have Karaeoke and live music there weekly, along with big screens for sport

10. Sam
    Paula
    16/08/2012 at 12:36 pm Permalink

Hi Sam,

I’m so pleased that I’ve got the grades to get into Southampton!! But i’ve recently heard all this talk about these places called Jesters, and Sobar and the Cube and to be honest I feel a little intimidated. I mean, I like to have a drink and a little dance but Jesters sounds scary ha ha. Are there places to go where you can just have a drink and casual chat with coursemates or is Southampton all party party party!!!?Although I suppose I could get used to it if I have to though ha ha. Just need a little reassurance lol.

Cant wait to meet you all, and all my future Chemistry friends.!!

Paula

11. Sam
    Ollie
    16/08/2012 at 1:07 pm Permalink

Don’t worry, there are loads of pubs and bars in town and on campus (the Stag’s Head and the Bridge Bar or whatever it’s called now) that are more chilled!

12. Sam
    David
    16/08/2012 at 1:19 pm Permalink

Hey Paula, It’s David, your VP Comms here.

There’s plenty of other events to sink your teeth into as well! SUSU has some of the best alternative events in the city.

We’ve got our own cinema in the Union; comedy ; open mic nights and gigs; karaoke in the Stags every Thursday… and that’s on top of all the incredible day-time activities from the societies, clubs and groups that you can get involved with.

As clichéd as it sounds, there is something for everyone.

13. Sam
    Sam
    16/08/2012 at 1:37 pm Permalink

Hi Paula,

There is so much going on in the first few weeks it can be a little intimidating, as it’s so hard to tell everyone about everything, however like Dave and Ollie said there really is something for everyone.

Keep an eye on Facebook group and the website to eye up the sorts of events you want to go to. As for places for a quiet drink with friends, on campus we’ve got the Staggs which is our more traditional pub with lovely company booths, and the newly refurbished Bridge, which is somewhere between a resteraunt, a cafe, and a bar. A great place to chill out and wittle a way the afternoon.

If you have any questions about anything just keep popping messages on the blogs, or on the SUSU Facebook group. You’re sure to have an amazing time, and there will be so many people to meet you’re sure to find the right group of friends for you.

Sam

14. Sam
    Claire
    16/08/2012 at 12:39 pm Permalink

Pretty sure after all this human interaction SUSU the cat hates people.. Or maybe it’s just me.

15. Sam
    Sam
    16/08/2012 at 1:39 pm Permalink

If it makes you feel better me and SUSU definitely have a love hate relationship. She pretends not to like me, until she decides to spend the afternoon walking across my desk!

16. Sam
    Bill
    16/08/2012 at 1:02 pm Permalink

Hi! I’ve just got my A level results and it looks like I’m coming to Southampton wooooo!
    I’m just wondering what the ‘Freshers Week’ is like- is it all ‘lads lads lads’ stuff and drinking and club nights, or are there more niche, alternative events for students who are more partial to a bit of folk music or historic cinema?
    Many thanks,
    Bill

17. Sam
    David
    16/08/2012 at 1:36 pm Permalink

Hey Bill! Congratulations, man.

Well if you’re into some folk music, come to the Bunfight (https://www.facebook.com/events/340098412740831/) and check out Folk Soc.

Whilst you’re there, get on the Union Films mailing list. It’s run completely by students and we have the cinema here in your Union. On Wednesday evenings they run something called ‘Phoenix’, which shows world film – http://www.unionfilms.org/phoenix/. Union Films also show some of the biggest blockbusters, so the choice is always yours.

Make sure you try out something new at the Bunfight as well… that way you can tick #8 off your list 😀

David (your VP communications)

18. Sam
    Sasha
    16/08/2012 at 1:50 pm Permalink

Just to add to David’s comment we have Jazz music fortnightly on Mondays, Indie music every other week; we have a comedy night called the Laughter Lounge on Tuesdays, Karaoke on Thursdays, monthly Poker nights, a Quiz ‘n Curry every Sunday, and every so often, on Saturdays, our cinema has a Cult Club – showcasing all the cult classics (pulp fiction, anchorman etc.)

With 24,000 students – there’s going to be a lot of everything: those who love to drink, those who dont, those who dont live in halls, those who are mature students etc. etc. It’s hard to cater for all groups of people, but we try our best, plus there are a lot of societies who provide various opportunities as well – and if there’s nothing quite for you, you can set up your own society!

Check out the rest of the website for more details, but start here to see what societies we have: http://www.susu.org/activities/2011/

Alternatively – get involved in the society (such as Union Films), and submit ideas for films, run for a committee position, become the Film Manager! There’s all sorts of opportunities over the next 3 years that you’ll have to find different things to get involved in, and to take a leading role in!

19. Sam
    Dan Armitage
    16/08/2012 at 1:30 pm Permalink

Hi guys, my name is Dan Armitage and I have just graduated from Southampton. Well, what can I say – WHAT.A.GREAT.3.YEARS!
    When I went to Southampton I was nervous, timid and frankly out of touch with the man I am now. I had heard of the various bars and clubs and I didn’t know how I would cope. I went to Jesters and boys were whipping their tops off to Baywatch; at first I was scared due to my puny, skinny body and then I embraced it and also embraced beer Lol. I can tell you- I have got some stories (hey Luke Shelley). But anyway, I digress. What I really want to say is; be confident, say yes to everything and most of all have a great time. I will be back no doubt for a few quad vods over the year so hook me up on facebook and I can show you a true Southampton night out.

All the best, Dan Armitage.

20. Sam
    Paula
    16/08/2012 at 2:30 pm Permalink

I’ve heard of you before Dan Armitage… Seems like your famous in Glen Eyre Halls and the Stags for Karaoke. Hope we get to meet at some point ha ha.

21. Sam
    Luke Shelley
    16/08/2012 at 3:50 pm Permalink

Do you recognise my name too? I’m really good and popular at karaoke also.

22. Sam
    Paula
    16/08/2012 at 4:30 pm Permalink

Lol I do actually. Were you the guy that used to sing with Dan? I’ve heard mainly about Dan from Freshers week a few years ago, haha, were you in Glen Eyre too? Are you going to be around this year?

23. Sam
    Luke Shelley
    16/08/2012 at 4:48 pm Permalink

No, not this year. But I could be persuaded to come down for you, Paula.