Chloe

Love Diversity, Hate Discrimination!

Do you fancy being involved in something marvellous? Of course you do. Here at SUSU we have our very own Equality and Diversity Forum for students. We debate, we plan, we discuss and we mobilise student action. Maybe you’re enraged about a lack of disability access? Maybe you hate sexism? Maybe racism makes your blood boil? Homophobia the bane of your life? Whatever you care about in regards to the fight for local and national equality, this is the forum for you.

We have six student coordinators up for grabs too;

– Race and ethnicity coordinator

– Gender identity coordinator

– Age coordinator

– Religion and faith coordinator

– 2 x coordinators (without portfolio)

These roles are voluntary positions open to any student and their jobs are whatever you make of them; you may want to work backstage and try to implement policy to help your cohort of students be treated more equally, or perhaps you want to celebrate diversity and run a few events or campaigns. It’s a small commitment but one which is very easy to fit in around studies and other voluntary roles.

The first Equality and Diversity Forum of the year will be held on Tuesday 16th October at 10am in the Clubs and Societies Room on Level 2 of SUSU building (no. 42). I’ll be wandering the corridors in case anyone is lost! If you’d like to run for a position, just prepare a small speech about why you’d like the role and come along. If you’d like to run for a position but you cannot attend the meeting, send me a small speech and I will read it for you and let you know the results after. If you’d just like to come along to get involved and find out more, please do so! It’s an amazing opportunity to do something that could change lives and attitudes, plus we have a right laugh 🙂

Email me to submit your applications or find out any more information on vpwelfare@susu.org.

Tags: ,

6 Comments on "Love Diversity, Hate Discrimination!"

1. Chloe
    Abdulwahab
    13/10/2012 at 7:04 pm Permalink

Hi !
    I don’t think I will be able to attend the meeting on Tuesday because I am doing MA in Applied Ling so I appreciate reading this small speech on my behalf.

I’d like to run for ( without portfolio) and I’d like it to be about politics. Many scientists and world leader are studying in this university now and we should know what’s happening and who has the upper hand. I come from Syria, it’s in the middle east south Turkey. You can hear about the war in my country in ever channel if you watch the news and I believe that we’re entitled to talk about it and the reasons behind and same for every country. we should be allowed to speak out and criticize whatever we feel is wrong. Thus, I’d like to make this one about general politics and world news. I’ll make sure to bring some daring topics about different countries so we think differently.

Kind regards,
    Abdulwahab

2. Chloe
    Chloe Green
    15/10/2012 at 7:12 pm Permalink

Hello Abdulwahab,

Thanks for your response; I will read out your application at tomorrow’s meeting and will let you know what the result is afterwards!

Could you please send me an email with your details so I can contact you? I’m on vpwelfare@susu.org.

Thanks!

Chloe x

3. Chloe
    Accepting but concerned...
    15/10/2012 at 1:08 pm Permalink

Chloe,

I was just wondering why there are specific positions and not just openings for those who are concerned about their inequality. By making such positions are you not discriminating against those without described positions…? The perfect example being that you mention homophobia yet there is no position for sexuality? Surely such a forum should be open to all, portfolio or not and for positions of their making… would that not be a truer form of equality?

Kind Regards,
    Concerned Student

P.S.

4. Chloe
    Chloe
    15/10/2012 at 2:38 pm Permalink

Hello Accepting but concerned…,

The reason there are specific positions is that last year in the forum, it was discussed and decided that having such positions would reflect issues that students felt were pressing and would represent a wide range of students. Also, having elected volunteers would assist the Equality and Diversity do their job as it’s such a wide role.

The ‘Gender Identity’ role was created so that it could be interpreted in any way – be it male/female equality or equality between those of different sexual orientations or campaigning for trans equality – whatever the gender/sexuality issue, it’s totally open. There is an LGBT Officer on the Welfare Committee, so we didn’t want to duplicate the roles, hence the vagueness of the name. I’m sorry that that was confusing – I see what you mean.

The forum is open to absolutely anyone – these positions are elected volunteers but the forum is made up of any student who’d like to come along. I’m sorry I didn’t make that clear! Also, if you wanted a position but were just generally interested in equality, the without portfolio roles would be relevant to you.

Hope that all sounds okay!

Chloe x

5. Chloe
    Just a thought
    15/10/2012 at 3:51 pm Permalink

Hello,
    I think the Equality and Diversity Forum for students is a great idea, and certainly should be commended.

However, I do share the concerns of the comment above – if there are going to be named roles, I don’t understand why there is not a disability coordinator or an LGBT coordinator. It seems like some forms of discrimination are being prioritised over others. If these (LGBT/disabled/etc) categories do not “represent a wide range of students”, then surely it is even more important to highlight and fight for the rights of these minority and marginalised groups? What better way to do so than to have a specific coordinator for them? (Also, LGBT issues cannot be subsumed under the category of ‘gender equality’ issues. The two are separate and distinct.)

Otherwise, I think the forum sounds like a fantastic idea!
    Kind regards.

6. Chloe
    Chloe
    15/10/2012 at 3:57 pm Permalink

Hello Just a thought!

I completely understand but absolutely no fear – we already have a Students with Disabilities Officer and an LGBT Officer who sit on the Welfare committee and who are invited to the forum too. We didn’t want to create the same role twice! So yes, no worries, these two already exist 🙂

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Chloe