Chloe

Don’t Settle for Sh*t Housing!

It’s November once again! Famous for bonfire night, my day of birth, looking for a house… HANG ON A MINUTE!? Looking for a house? In November? But surely that’s madness? Well yes, madness it is.

Every year there is a wild flutter of Freshers utterly convinced that if they don’t get their second year housing in November, ALL the good ones will be gone. This fear is fuelled by the illegal and outrageous flyering and postering rogue letting agencies shove through halls’ letter boxes; in my first year, I was so taken in by the scare-tactics, that I’d signed on the dotted line by December 1st.

And what was my house like? No double glazing, no curtains, a front door which didn’t close and a bathroom the size of a postage stamp to cater to eight people. If only I’d waited, taken some advice from SUSU and got hot on my rights as a tenant, eh?

Tasty…

I’m going to tell you this now: I promise, with all my welfarey heart, that you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT need to get your house during semester one. Trust me. There is a surplus of housing in Southampton: they will never run out. This year, post election bliss, I found my house in April. It is warm, cosy, newly refurbished and came with a TV. Winner.

Letting agencies try to scare students because when they see them, they see big dollar signs. Unaware, un-savvy students equals big bucks. Kerchiiiiing, and all that. They make you think about housing way too soon because if you don’t know your rights, if you don’t know what you’re looking for, and if you’re panicked into making a decision, you’ll probably just pick the first thing you see. And that’s them and their grotty, dishevelled properties. I can name no names as I’d rather not get sued, but there’s a reason that some letting agencies descend upon campus: it’s so they appear legitimate and at the heart of student life. In my opinion, and I’m not alone in this one, they are money grabbers who care as much about your welfare and rights as that evil park ranger guy from Jumanji.

My street team of housing enthusiasts and I will be out on campus and up at halls all week spreading the word and flyering, so look out for us and come say hello! And check out our snazzy new website for everything you need to know about housing, including what kind of housemates you may want, what to look out for, and how to avoid rogue landlords.

Get savvy on housing. Don’t settle!

10 Comments on "Don’t Settle for Sh*t Housing!"

1. Chloe
    2nd Year in a second rate house
    19/11/2012 at 9:20 pm Permalink

This and the website you linked at the end DEFINITELY need posting in all the JCR groups for this year!

2. Chloe
    Chloe Green
    20/11/2012 at 1:13 pm Permalink

Thanks 2nd Year in a second rate house – we’re on it!

And I feel your pain 🙁

3. Chloe
    Matt
    20/11/2012 at 2:44 pm Permalink

About time SUSU got hot on housing. Good work!

Take your time looking round houses, but put some money aside for when you do need to sign the contract! Don’t be that guy who p&£sed their deposit and agency fee away!

4. Chloe
    Anthony Lewis
    20/11/2012 at 5:00 pm Permalink

Hi,

If you want to see reviews of houses in southampton written by students, please visit: http://www.ratemystudenthouse.co.uk/southampton

Thanks
    Anthony

5. Chloe
    Jade
    20/11/2012 at 6:23 pm Permalink

I think this is amazing Chloe- great work!

6. Chloe
    Chloe Green
    20/11/2012 at 8:04 pm Permalink

Thanks Jade! x

7. Chloe
    Jane Davis
    21/11/2012 at 12:57 am Permalink

Lot of love for all the work Frankie did on this last year.
    Good Job for keeping this a priority!

One thing, in what way is leafleting illegal (?)….last time I checked it is perfectly legal!

8. Chloe
    Chloe
    22/11/2012 at 1:25 pm Permalink

Hello Jane,

Thanks for the kind words! It’s against university regulations for external letting agencies to flyer/poster in halls. Not only do they breach security by entering the halls (they often follow students in as they enter), they give students misleading information. Definitely against university rules!

9. Chloe
    Hugh Thompson
    21/11/2012 at 9:33 am Permalink

Can’t say I’m with you on this one. We got out quickly last year and got a great house. If you leave it for ages you WILL get a sh*t house – I have seen plenty and that’s why I have already signed up again on this one for next year. If you want a good house I would start looking around to see what’s out there…

10. Chloe
    Chloe
    22/11/2012 at 1:28 pm Permalink

Hello Hugh,
    It’s not an absolute guarantee that you’ll get a bad house if you rush. What is guaranteed however, is that if you rush, you’re unlikely to have the best grasp on your rights and what the rest of the market looks like. You may also choose to live with friends who you’ve not known for very long, which often leads to disputes in second year.
    It’s absolutely no true that if you leave it for ages you’ll get a bad house – Post Graduate students often can’t get housing until the summer months, and they often find the cheapest/best deals. Prices lower as the year goes on and more houses are released all throughout the year. My house which I got in April is the best student house I’ve ever seen! It’s gorgeous!

Good to know you’ve got a good house though 🙂