Nicole

Your Union (Winchester), Needs You!

As a union, we believe in delivering the best services and opportunities to all students regardless of where they study, to (paraphrase the mission statement), improve the lives of every student and unlock their potential. And after much discussion on this subject, we will be re-opening the building in February. In the mean time, we will be putting together a plan about how to best deliver services at the Union-Winchester, this is where you (the students!), come in…

As we all know, currently the Union-Winchester doesn’t have great reviews. With barely any student led activity, facilities or entertainment available to students, the union has become nothing more than the occasional night club.

We’d like to hear as many views, ideas and thoughts as possible to make sure You Get what You Want for Your Union (Winchestaar!). So whether you study at Highfield, Winchester or any other campus, if you have an idea… Get involved!

Leave me a comment or pop me an email (vpsites@susu.org), look for ward to hearing from you!

Sites Love x

Nicole

Tags: , ,

8 Comments on "Your Union (Winchester), Needs You!"

1. Nicole
    Moggy
    07/01/2013 at 3:37 pm Permalink

Something I’ve always noticed every time I’ve been up to Winch, the SU has very bizarre opening times, I remember something like 11-3pm on weekdays? To me this seems a bit bizarre, and my initial reaction (if limited opening hours is a problem) would be have it open more like 4-8pm as somewhere to chill or to use after teaching hours are over. It seems to me that the Winchester cafe (and alternative places in town) are more than adequate for lunches, so perhaps having this later slot with a more ‘light-late-lunch’ or snack menu would be more suited to it’s location and it’s opening times

However, I’m not a Winch student, so someone do correct me if I’m wrong! From what I gather, most Art students spend long days in their studio spaces – almost similar to a job – and tend to meet up afterwards (so unlike in Highfield, there is less of a need for a during-the-day space).

2. Nicole
    Bantanio Banteras
    07/01/2013 at 7:09 pm Permalink

Yo yo yo as a somewhat frequent user of our terrible SU, I kindly ask if we may have a total revamp. Its a horrible space to be in, get some interior designers in there or better yet buy Porthouse and we can have that as our union.

Muchos Love
    Bantz

3. Nicole
    Steven
    07/01/2013 at 11:06 pm Permalink

I’m not familiar with the Winchester Union so could someone outline what is there already so that for those of us who are unfamiliar we can suggest.

4. Nicole
    Nicole
    08/01/2013 at 11:47 am Permalink

Hi Steven,

Certainly! Thank you for asking 🙂

So the union- Winchester is a small building at the end of the WSA Campus. Facilities wise it currently has upstairs offices and a meeting area, a bar, dance floor, DJ-stage, a pool table and some furniture, holding roughly 200 people capacity.

Representation wise, – A full Erasmus Park JCR, Myself, 2 student activities staff, the Winchester officer, course reps and also the Winchester Exec Committee.

We have a few societies- the creative writing society and the syndicate of the beard society (ok, so 2!), as well as the Winchester Wessex scene and RAG. Also the international society and christian union which are non-SUSU groups.

And finally entertainments! Every other Monday, and alternate rock night (Detention) and a monthly drum and bassey dubstep-night (HAZY). Opening hours usually 9 till 1 or 2. During the day – 11am till 5pm ish..

Does that help at all?

5. Nicole
    Steven
    11/01/2013 at 10:12 am Permalink

Yes it does, thanks. Personally the thing that I love about SUSU at Highfield is the cinema. Expanding films certainly seems like a good idea. Maybe links could be established between union films and or film soc so they run Winchester nights or they lend their film collections to be shown in Winchester.

6. Nicole
    Ellen Green
    08/01/2013 at 4:03 pm Permalink

For activities that could be held on campus, me and a couple of the JCRs went around halls and got a list of activities people suggested and would love. The most popular ones were zumba, a regular film night in the common room, dance, photography and football. Other things were suggested like languages and basketball.

7. Nicole
    Bill Watson
    10/01/2013 at 9:52 am Permalink

As long as there’s some sort of nice trendy-ish decor you can’t go wrong with some decent food and a couple of drinks deals.

Trackbacks