Beckie03 November 2014 17:57
Don’t Rush Housing Campaign 2014
If you read this blog you can see an update of where the campaign has got to so far, and what is planned for the future, including how all of you can get involved to help make a difference!
What I’ve started:
1. Persuaded SASSH to push back their online housing list release date until January 26th, and decided to hold the SUSU lettings list back until 26th January.
2. Mid October we put a simple message out through SUSU communications letting students know that there is no need to rush, and that they can recieve lots of help on January 26th.
3. Contacted letting agencies last month asking for them to wait until January 26th to explicitly advertise to students, telling them that if they get on board, we can tell students that they are keen on taking the pressure off students implying that they have fair treatment student high on their agenda.
4. Creating and promoting a 2 question survey to collect student ratings of letting agencies in order to release the best/ worst letting agency lists on January 26th.
5. We are creating the information and tips compiled as a result of the last Vent about your Rent Survey. These will be released on 26th January 2015.
6. Working closely with Universtiy residences to ensure letting agencies are not flyering at halls.
7. Creating a don’t rush flyer to be given to every halls flat with the following information:
There is no shortage of student housing in Southampton, don’t be pressured into signing a contract this term! Second years will tell you, housemates are more important than the house; get to know the people you want to live with before you commit to a contract.
There are horror stories from students who have rushed into house hunting before Christmas and been stuck with bad landlords/ bad houses. Loads of students find great houses, even in the summer before they move in!
If you wait to look for a house until Monday 26th January you can:
- Find out the best/ worst-rated Letting Agencies
- Visit the SUSU Housing Fair
- Consider applying for halls with friends
- Figure out who you really want to live with
- Look at SASSH & SUSU Lettings properties
- The Advice centre can check your contract!
Plans for the future:
7. Creating an online space on the SUSU website to display student horror stories, and success stories of students who found housing later on in the year. For this, I am after any horror/ success stories people are willing to share, please email me with a quote explaining what happened to you as a result of rushing/ as a result of waiting.
8. Holding a Housing Fayre on 26th January 2015
9. A visual house presence on the redbick/ concourse- for example a cardboard house or people dressed as houses to draw attention to the don’t rush campaign.
10. Lousy Lettings is working well as a forum to express anger at landlords, however SUSU collected comments in the vent about your rent survey which will be looked at.
If you have any other great ideas, please email me at email@example.com and I’ll see whether they can be incorporated into the campaign, with your help!
***** We have learned that Elliotts Lettings Agency in Portswood has gone into liquidation. If you are owed any money by them – unreturned deposits, fees for services not provided or anything else – please contact the Advice Centre in SUSU for advice. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02380 592085.
Students may also wish to know that the directors of Elliotts are also connected to Regents Estates Agents, based at 81 London Road, Southampton.