Beckie05 May 2015 18:16
There’s a rather large elephant in the room. Let’s start talking about mental health.
Mental health is often ignored, and left as the metaphorical ‘elephant in the room’. This needs to stop.
In my role as VP Welfare this year, I’ve been working hard to combine a plan to inform every single student of the support available to them, with a plan to open conversations about mental health around campus.
On Thursday 6th May 2015 we are launching the Elephant in the Room Campaign, signposting students to visit susu.org.support
Here’s what to look out for in the campaign……
1. Kelly Holmes (Olympic Medalist) speaks to SUSU students about the importance of open mental health conversations
Click HERE to watch the Kelly Holmes video
2. A 5 foot elephant statue will hold a basketfull of support flyers on SUSU concourse (around campus next year)
3. Students can feedback opinions on support services in the Mental Wellbeing Survey (with a £200 prize)
4. Fridge Stickers will provide support information to every single kitchen in University Accommodation (September)
5. Support services will be promoted across campuses, for example Hartley Library, faculty offices, NOC, WSA and SGH
6. Sports club captains will be trained in mental health awareness to break down the stigma surrounding it.
If anyone would like more information, or would like to get involved in campaigning, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.