Anjit15 October 2015 10:17
JCRs Review – An Update!
My name’s Flora, and I’m your JCRs Officer this year! My role involves working with the JCRs to ensure they can provide the best representation to those of you in halls or privately rented accommodation!
As most of you will know, this year we’re looking into reviewing a lot of the processes and structures associated with SUSU. As a part of this upgrade process, we want to make sure we’re delivering the best possible offer we can to our student body. One of the areas we’re reviewing is the JCR (Junior Common Room) Committees system and structure – this review aims to ensure that the halls committees are as valuable, effective and up-to-date as they possibly can be.
The JCRs are your committee of a group of current and ex-residents (depending on whether you’re in your first or second semester), elected around Christmas each year to represent your views in halls or Private Rented accommodation. They are there to organise great social activities and events, to keep you safe and sound and to represent your views to the Students’ Union. Their job is to make sure that your time in halls or private rented accommodations is the best experience possible. They currently do a great job; SUSU just wants to make sure it’s as amazing as it can be!
The research we’ve conducted so far:
• We’ve surveyed a selection of current 1st year students.
• We’ve collected group feedback from our 250 Fresher Representatives.
• We’ve collated ideas and best practices from other Universities and Students’ Unions across the country.
• We’ve surveyed the current JCR committees.
• We’ve met with a variety of stakeholders to collect opinions: Student Leaders, SUSU Staff, University Staff, SUSU Trustees, and, of course, the Sabbatical Officers.
Now we’ve moved on to quite an important part of the review. We’re organising a Tap Choose Change today to make sure you all get to have a say in helping us decide what your Halls Representation structure is named.
So come on down to the concourse today from 11.30am – 2.00pm to TAP, CHOOSE AND CHANGE the name of your Halls Representation Structure!